April 30, 2014
The following colleges and universities have announced their commencement speakers for spring 2014:
- Adelphi University: Jeh Charles Johnson, the secretary of homeland security.
- Arizona State University: U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan.
- Dartmouth College: Shonda Rhimes, the television writer and producer.
- Dominican University, in Illinois: Julieanna L. Richardson, founder and executive director of the History Makers.
- Goucher College: Susan Eisenhower, the international affairs consultant.
- Hudson County Community College: Rod A. Risley, executive director and chief executive officer of Phi Theta Kappa.
- Indiana Wesleyan University: John Isch, a cardiac surgeon and Christian leader in the Indianapolis area.
- LaGrange College: Author and environmentalist Janisse Ray.
- Marlboro College: Andrew Delbanco, the Mendelson Family Chair of American Studies and Julian Clarence Levi Professor in the Humanities at Columbia University.
- Marymount University, in Virginia: Kevin A. Plank, CEO of Under Armor.
- Miami Dade College: J.B. Milliken, incoming chancellor of the City University of New York; Vice President Biden; John Sexton, president of New York University; Darren Walker, president of the Ford Foundation; and Richard Brodhead, president of Duke University.
- Michigan Technological University: Leland D. Melvin, former astronaut and associate administrator for education at National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
- Mount Aloysius College: David Shribman, executive editor of The Pittsburgh-Post Gazette; and Cindy Skrzycki, a columnist and a senior lecturer at the University of Pittsburgh.
- Nova Southeastern University: Will A. Gunn, general counsel for the Department of Veterans Affairs; and Chesley B. Sullenberger, III, the pilot who led an emergency landing in the Hudson River in 2009.
- State University of New York at Cobleskill: Judith St. Leger, director of veterinary pathology and research at SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment.
Read more by
Today’s News from Inside Higher Ed
What Others Are Reading