May 5, 2014
The following colleges and universities have announced their commencement speakers for spring 2014:
- Berea College: bell hooks, the author, and Silas House, the novelist.
- Case Western Reserve University: Mohamed ibn Chambas, joint chief mediator overseeing the Darfur peace negotiations for the African Union and United Nations.
- Eureka College: Sister Judith Ann Duvall, chairperson of the OSF Healthcare System Board of Directors.
- Furman University: Carl Kohrt, interim president of the university.
- Kennesaw State University: Georgia First Lady Sandra Deal and others.
- LeTourneau University: Robert D. Lawler, president and CEO of Chesapeake Energy.
- Mills College: Daljit Bains, chief compliance officer at the Peace Corps.
Mount St. Mary's College, in California: Maryann Cusimano Love, adviser to the U.S. Department of State and associate professor of international relations at Catholic University of America.
Owensboro Community and Technical College: Jill Biden, a community college professor and wife of the vice president.
Palm Beach Atlantic University: Florida State Senator Joe Negron.
Skidmore College: Neil Shubin, the evolutionary biologist and author, and Janet Lucas Whitman, a trustee emerita of the college.
Texas A&M University: Texas Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples.
- Truman State University: N. Katherine Hayles, professor of literature and director of graduate studies at Duke University.
- University of the Arts: Robert Battle, artistic director of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.
- University of Findlay: Darin E. Fields, the university's vice president for academic affairs, and Jeanne Kelly, founder and executive director of Encore Creativity for Older Adults.
Read more by
Today’s News from Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed’s Quick Takes
What Others Are Reading