The Anti-Defamation League says it is “troubled” by an upcoming event at Brooklyn College, co-sponsored by the college’s political science department, that the ADL says is "anti-Israel." The event, which the political science department is sponsoring along with the college’s chapter of Students for Justice in Palestine, will feature two speakers who are part of the BDS – or Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions – movement, which encourages organizations to cut off all ties to Israel. Ron Meier, the ADL New York regional director, said in a press release that the political science department’s co-sponsorship of the event constitutes institutional endorsement of the sentiments of the BDS movement, and in a letter to Brooklyn College president Karen Gould, Meier urged Gould to tell the political science department to revoke its sponsorship.
But the college is backing the right of the political science department to sponsor any event it wants. In a letter to students, faculty, and staff, Gould wrote that principles of academic freedom grant students and faculty the right to “engage in dialogue and debate on topics they may choose, even those with which members of our campus and broader community may vehemently disagree.” Gould emphasized that while the college endorses free speech, it does not endorse the views of speakers it brings to campus.
A spokesman for the college also noted that another student group, the Israel Club, will host its own event in February.
- Controversy grows over pro-Palestinian event at Brooklyn College
- Students petition Hillel to allow co-sponsorship with pro-divestment groups
- Princeton professor protests his exclusion from a panel on Gaza on political grounds
- At MLA event and counter-event, debate over the Israel boycott
- Boycott battles continue in U.S. academe
- Essay considers how the issue of anti-Semitism plays out in the boycott movement
- Essay on the growth in support for a boycott of Israeli universities
- Reports raise concerns about efforts to suppress pro-Palestinian advocacy on campuses
Search for Jobs