You have /5 articles left.
Sign up for a free account or log in.

Britain will give graduates of the world's leading universities visas good for two years of work (three if they hold a doctorate from one of the universities), Times Higher Education reported. To be eligible, their university must be in the top 50 for the world in the rankings of two of the three leading ranks: Times Higher Education, QS and the Shanghai Academic Rankings. The visas could be a major reason for international or domestic students to enroll at the universities. But the article noted criticism of the plan. Phil Baty, Times Higher Education’s chief knowledge officer, said it was a “big problem” that none of the selected universities were from Africa, Latin America or South Asia. (Inside Higher Ed is now owned by Times Higher Education.)

Twenty of the 37 universities eligible are in the United States. They are: the California Institute of Technology; Columbia, Cornell, Duke, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, New York, Northwestern, Princeton, Stanford and Yale Universities; the Massachusetts Institute of Technology; the Universities of California (Berkeley, Los Angeles and San Diego campuses), Chicago, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Texas at Austin and Washington.

Next Story

Written By

More from Quick Takes