Winners of Bancroft Prize Announced
March 19, 2013
Columbia University on Monday announced two winners of the Bancroft Prize for books about history. The winners are:
- W. Jeffrey Bolster, associate professor of history at the University of New Hampshire, for The Mortal Sea: Fishing the Atlantic in the Age of Sail (Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2012).
- John Fabian Witt, Allen H. Duffy Class of 1960 Professor of Law at Yale University, for Lincoln’s Code: The Laws of War in American History (Free Press, 2012).
- Guest Blog: On the 150th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address
- Quick Takes: Rollins Drops Admissions Test Requirement, Scholars Win Pulitzers, 24 Community Colleges Added to 'Achieving the Dream'
- Quick Takes: ETS to Pay Millions for Errors in Teacher Test, Pell Recipients Up 33% Since 2000, Bancroft Prizes, Actors Studio Will Start MFA at Pace, Abortion Compromise at Bowling Green, Ontario 2-Year College Strike Continues, Bob Jones Bars Starbucks
- 3 Historians Win Bancrofts
- Quick Takes: Remark Costs Instructor a Job, Gender Gap in Salaries, Suit Against Western Ky. Blocked, Hunger Strike Ends at Stanford, Tensions at Miss. Valley, End of Career Education Probe, Prof Accused of Hoax, Clark and Bancroft Awards
- The Cost of Whistle Blowing
- Patricia Smith and Bruce DeSilva Interview Each Other
- Quick Takes: Sudden Leave at Southern Illinois, Claremont McKenna and Lafayette Add Aid, Another Cartoon Controversy at U.Va., Payroll Snafu, St. Edward's Expands in France, Quidditch Spring Break, Bancroft Prizes, Rare Look at Morrill Act
Search for Jobs
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
North Dartmouth, MA
Cedar Rapids, IA
Chestnut Hill, MA
The mission of the American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine is to provide an excellent medical education to qualified students of...
Founded in Worcester, Mass., in 1865, WPI was one of the nation's earliest technological universities . From our founding days, we've taken a unique...