Fallout at U. of St. Thomas on Sex-Abuse Allegations Elsewhere
October 21, 2013
The University of St. Thomas, in Minnesota, is facing fallout from a series of allegations about sexual abuse by Roman Catholic priests. The abuse is not alleged to have taken place at the university, but St. Thomas has been drawn into the scandal.
- The Rev. Michael Keating, a professor of Catholic studies, is on leave following the filing of a lawsuit by a woman alleging that he abused her in the late 1990s when she was 13 to 15 years old. While Father Keating has not spoken about the allegations, his lawyer has denied the allegations. Minnesota Public Radio has reported that documents it obtained suggest that church leaders may have planned to communicate with the university about the allegations as early as 2006.
- The Rev. Harry Flynn, a former archbishop of St. Paul and Minneapolis at a time that many victims say the church didn't do enough about abuse allegations, has resigned from the St. Thomas board.
- The Rev. Kevin McDonough, former vicar general of the archdiocese, and who investigated allegations against Father Keating and others, has also resigned from the St. Thomas board, The Star Tribune reported.
- Catholic Character
- Campus Ministry Director -- Gay and Celibate -- Quits
- Cover-Up at Gonzaga U.
- College Yanks Courses by Gay Priest
- At Variance with the Vatican
- Quick Takes: Advice for Obama/McCain, U.S. Poised to Keep Spending Flat, Obama in Effigy at George Fox, Defining the Bishop's Role, Lambuth President Steps Down, NIH Chief to Depart, Equity in Science Prizes, Drug Makers' Payments to Scientists
- Moving Past the Notre Dame Furor
- Colleges announce commencement speakers
Search for Jobs
Cedar Rapids, IA
Chestnut Hill, MA
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
North Dartmouth, MA
The Stella and Charles Guttman Community College at CUNY is an urban public institution that offers associate degree programs in an environment that...
About the University of Denver Founded in 1864—just a few years after the city of Denver itself was founded—the University of Denver is one of the...