Southern Illinois University is the latest institution to limit graduate assistants' workloads ahead of the Affordable Care Act's so-called "employer mandate" taking effect. In an e-mail sent earlier this week to Southern Illinois' Graduate School deans, chairs and graduate directors, Susan M. Ford, interim dean, said that starting in January the school will no longer approve graduate assistant contracts over a 50 percent assignment -- what typically equates to a 20-hour workweek. Under the Affordable Care Act, large employers such as colleges and universities will have to provide employees working 30 hours or more weekly with health insurance, or face fines, beginning in January 2015.
"This restriction relates to the university's current understanding of the Affordable Care Act and its impact on the way [graduate assistant] benefits will be determined," reads the email, obtained by Inside Higher Ed. "This restriction is consistent with practice being enacted at universities across the country and put in place after consultation with the various offices involved with [graduate assistant] benefits on campus."
Ford did not immediately respond to a request for comment on how many students the new policy could affect.
Earlier this summer, the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa announced it was limiting graduate students' workloads universitywide ahead of the Affordable Care Act. Adjunct instructors at dozens of institutions across the country also have seen their workloads limited for the same reasons.
- Alabama limits graduate student workloads to avoid paying for their health insurance
- Some colleges consider changes in adjunct caps in wake of IRS guidance
- IRS guidance on health care law clarifies formula for counting adjunct hours
- Thinking About Students as Workers
- Ohio public institutions consider creating adjunct referral system
- Hybrid Education 2.0
- House Committee Report Highlights Plight of Adjunct Professors
- Colleges consider how delay of employer insurance rule will impact plans to cap adjuncts' hours
Search for Jobs